Man in court charged with attempted murder after two police officers stabbed

A man has been remanded into custody charged with attempted murder, after two police officers were stabbed in central London.

Mohammed Rahman stands accused of the “utterly appalling” attack on a male police constable, referred to in court as PC Gerrard, who was knifed in the neck and chest in Leicester Square at 6am on Friday.

The 24-year-old also faces one count of causing grievous bodily harm in connection with an attack on a female officer, named as PC Mulhall, who was stabbed in the arm.

Rahman has also been charged with assault and two counts of threatening a person in a public place with a bladed article, as well as, robbery and possession of a bladed article.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan branded the incident “utterly appalling” at a “momentous time for our country”.

Appearing at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Monday, the defendant spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during a short hearing.

Wearing a prison-issued grey sweatshirt, Rahman was flanked by two officers in the dock.

He was not required to enter any pleas to the charges.

During the alleged attack, the female officer was stabbed in the arm before her male colleague ran after the “frenzied” suspect and a tussle ensued, Met Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley said.

Praising the officers’ bravery, Sir Mark said: “It’s a reminder to me that with all the calls for reforming the Metropolitan Police, which are absolutely necessary, we should never forget that we’ve got thousands of dedicated men and women going out every day who are prepared to be brave for Londoners.”

On Saturday, the Metropolitan Police said the female officer who suffered a stab wound to the arm had been discharged from hospital while the male officer remained under medical supervision.

The officers who were taken to hospital – both attached to the Met’s Central West Command Unit responsible for policing Westminster – were carrying out routine duties.

They were not part of the wider policing operation in place following the death of the Queen.

Rahman, of Westbourne Park Road in Notting Hill, London, was remanded into custody by District Judge Simon Heptonstall ahead of a further appearance at the Old Bailey on October 14.